Back Stability Clinic
Mater/ACU Back Stability Clinic operates on a commitment to clinical expertise and personal care.
The Back Stability Clinic has been established for more than ten years and is founded on cutting-edge random controlled research, which is now being substantiated around the world. This research supports our approach that the correct activation of the deep stability muscles of the trunk (Transversus abdominis and multifidus, in conjunction with the pelvic floor and the diaphragm) is key to the successful management of sub-acute and chronic mechanical low back pain in patients of all ages and ability.
Our clinic principally uses real-time ultrasound imaging to create the first real “eye inside” the trunk to visualise, train, strengthen and maintain the correct use of these muscles. Additionally, our postgraduate trained, musculoskeletal physiotherapists embrace a holistic approach to patient management, including joint, muscle, nerve function and posture.
During your consultation we will review your medical history and assess your physical condition. Ultrasound imaging is a key to our understanding of your muscle function in relation to your low back pain. Together we will discuss your symptoms, other contributing factors and answer any questions you may have. You will be provided with an accurate diagnosis before your treatment for relief pain and regaining movement. We offer to increase your understanding and help you learn how to enhance your recovery and implement a self managed program. This is a practical and functional step by step process, where we will work with you to achieve your goals.
We provide associated exercises, fitness and physical lifestyle advice, as well as treatment or advice for other body regions causing pain. Our ultimate aim is your successful self management.
At no additional cost to you, we provide on request:
- a written, personalised exercise program
- advice for function
- a postural assessment
- advice for home pain management
- preventative advice for the future
- photographic record of your back or your posture
- printed images of your ultrasound muscle function
- guidance for your return to elite sport or recommended social exercise pursuits.
Our clinic boasts a broad range of equipment which can be used, by choice of the physiotherapist, to improve the effectiveness of the assessment and treatment of your back.
- Two real-time ultrasound imaging machines. These allow your physiotherapist to assess the function of your deep stability muscles and teach you how to correctly contract the muscles that support your spine.
- A 65 cm flat screen monitor and two other monitors to allow you to receive the benefit of visual learning, in various positions.
- A Sony printer which prints the images of your contractions so that you can take home with you, the visual image and thus improve the effectiveness of that vital home training.
- Photographic computerised posture assessment program, able to quantify pre and post exercise improvement to posture. We can estimate future postural age changes and arm you with strategies to prevent deterioration.
- Pressure Biofeedback sphygmometer which allows quantification of the holding capacity of core stability muscles.
Back Stability Clinic
Phone: 07 3163 1529