Mater Archives and Heritage Centre
The Mater Archives and Heritage Centre is open to all Mater staff, researchers and members of the public.
The centre collects and preserves records and artefacts that tell the story of Mater Health Services, from the foundation of the first Mater Private Hospital by the Sisters of Mercy in 1906 to the present day.
Archival material preserves corporate memory, and provides knowledge of our heritage and an appreciation for the dedication of those who preceded us.
We seek to promote Mater’s history both within the hospital and the wider community, and highlight the contribution the Sisters of Mercy have made to the health and welfare of those in need.
The centre provides access to its resources through tours, displays and other promotional activities.
The centre collects a broad range of items including:
- annual reports
- Board and management committee minutes and reports
- newsletters produced for distribution to Mater staff and the wider community
- photographs of Mater staff, services and departments; celebrations; and building works
- newspaper clippings
- commemorative items depicting significant events at Mater
- personal papers, memoirs, diaries, speeches and scrapbooks from Mater staff and the Sisters of Mercy
- biographical information on the Sisters of Mercy and Mater staff
- architectural maps and plans relating to the hospital buildings and grounds
- instruments, equipment, furniture and nurses uniforms
- audiovisual material
- promotional material and advice to patients.
Services provided by arrangement include:
- information on the Mater Hospitals’ history
- personal assistance in the use of archival resources
- talks and presentations
- heritage tour of Mater campus
- displays and exhibits showcasing the collection.
Access to some records may be restricted due to the physical condition of the materials or the private and confidential nature of the information they contain.
Opening hours and contact details
Monday and Wednesday: 9 am to 5 pm
Friday: 9 am to 1 pm
Please note: the centre can be opened at other times by appointment only
Phone: 07 3163 8166
Location: level 3, Aubigny Place, Mater Health Services, Raymond Terrace, South Brisbane, Queensland, 4101