Providing compassion and support
Being in hospital can be a challenging time for patients and their loved ones.
Mater’s pastoral care practitioners are there to provide you compassionate support as well as practical assistance, and will seek to visit you or your loved one during your stay in hospital.
We are a Catholic hospital founded by the Sisters of Mercy and firmly grounded in the healing ministry of Jesus. Our pastoral care practitioners are sensitive to the needs of people from all religious and cultural backgrounds.
If you wish, Mater’s pastoral care practitioners can arrange a visit by a chaplain or representative from your own denomination.
At Mater, pastoral care focuses on the whole person including your physical, emotional, social and spiritual wellbeing. As integral members of the hospital team, our pastoral care practitioners work with your doctors and nurses to help ensure you receive holistic care.
Mater pastoral care practitioners:
- listen to your story and concerns
- support you in times of grief and loss
- will be with you in times of both joy and sadness
- offer emotional and spiritual support
- provide prayers and sacramental support when requested
- contact other faith group representatives on your behalf.