We are an iconic provider of hospital-based healthcare, striving to deliver an exceptional standard of care
We comprise several hospitals, health centres, a nationally accredited education provider and a world-class research institute
We are a nationally accredited, hospital-based Registered Training Organisation - the only one of its kind in Queensland
We are part of a collaborative research institute with The University of Queensland and founding partner of the Translational Research Institute
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing is now available at some Mater Pathology Collection Centres. Click on the relevant link below for further details on this service.
Testing for novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is available at the below Mater Pathology COVID-19 testing centres, if you have a GP referral form:
Where is the testing performed?
Testing will be performed by Mater Pathology at our South Brisbane laboratory. Once the sample is tested at the laboratory, results will be released to your referring doctor. All coronavirus requests are reported to the Queensland Government Public Health unit.
How much does it cost?
The government has released a Medicare rebate for the test so there is no charge for those citizens who hold a Medicare card. If you do not hold a valid Medicare card, please ring our customer service team on 07 3163 8500 for more information.
People travelling overseas must undertake specific COVID-19 travel testing prior to departure (usually within 72 hours).
Travellers can book a COVID-19 test via our call centre on 07 316 8500 and will be required to pay for their travel test prior to testing. Mater Pathology will provide to the traveller a covid certificate of the result of the test via email prior to their departure.
Please note: Travellers to China must undertake both COVID-19 PCR and COVID-19 IgM testing prior to departure.
COVID-19 testing under a Public Health Order
If you or any of your family have been requested to test for COVID-19 under a Public Health Order, you are able to attend any of our collection centres located in your area without a request form, for all other testing, a request form referred by a General Practitioner is required.
Testing can be performed on samples collected on-site in general practice, via Mater Pathology drive up facilities or via our collection centre network.
Advice and criteria for testing may change subject to public health advice. The latest guidelines should be referred to, and are available through the Information for Queensland clinicians and Healthcare Workers website.
Safety is our utmost priority. If your nearest collection centre is not listed below, please seek confirmation that testing can be performed at that site prior to sending patients by calling our customer service team on 07 3163 8500.
Mater Pathology may be able to perform respiratory testing at most collection centre sites, however the collection centres listed below have been specifically set up for COVID-19 specimen collection.
A referral is required for COVID-19 testing at the following collection centres:
Mater Pathology may also be able to provide drive up testing for your patients. If this is an option they would prefer please direct them to our customer service team on 07 3163 8500 and we will assist them with booking their visit.
If referring a patient for testing at one of our centres:
• Ask your patient to contact the Mater Pathology customer service team on 07 3163 8500 to book a test. This will allow us to maintain social distancing in our rooms.
• Ensure your patient has a referral form—this may be faxed ahead to our customer service team on 07 3163 8783.
• Ensure your patient has been provided with a suitable face mask if possible.
Information relating to safe collection procedures can be found on the Australian Government Department of Health site.
• Dry viral swabs (for example, flocked swab)
• Collect at least one from the nasopharynx
• If possible, please also collect one from the oropharynx (throat)
COVID-19 is classified as a notifiable disease to the public health unit. If your patient meets the current criteria for suspected COVID-19, please notify the appropriate public health unit for your area.
Phone: 07 3163 8500
Fax: 07 3163 8783
In response to an increase in demand for asymptomatic testing across Queensland, Mater Pathology can offer packages for organisations seeking to test their staff for COVID-19.
Our tertiary hospital laboratory is accredited to national standards by both the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) and the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (RCPA).
• Provide staff with assurance and confidence as they interact with customers including vulnerable groups.
• Provide customers with the assurance that your organisation is performing regular staff screening.
• When added to a Covid-safe work plan, testing will provide organisations with peace of mind that they are acting in staff and customers best interests.
Organisations can choose for staff to be tested just for COVID-19, or COVID-19 plus a full respiratory virus PCR panel (including influenza).
• Mater Pathology can meet to discuss the needs of the organisation and work through testing options.
• Mater Pathology has an extensive network of collection centres that can be accessed. Other options including worksite or residential visits.
• Results will be made available to the employer within 48-72 hours.
For enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org